They say charity begins at home. The home, is the place where most of our values and world views are instilled. The home can also be in some cases a place where most of our insecurities are built.
For me the home is where I learnt the below values that I have carried with me to my adulthood. They might not work for everyone, they sure have worked for me.
- GOD (This is a non negotiable)
- EDUCATION (marks were checked against the class average and the grade average -mistakes were made but there was no room for excuses- Excellence)
- CONFIDENCE (Built by being told that you come from a lineage of intelligent people – You are as smart as the next person, if not smarter. Do not fear people)
- PRIDE (Your name and surname carries with it certain values – live the +ve ones and avoid the -ve ones)
- HUMILITY (Humble yourself – Do not confuse humility for stupidity)
- RESPECT (all people from all walks of life)
- GO GETTER (The world is not going to come to you, you have to go to it and learn to compete)
- WORK HARD (Nothing comes easy, when you get something give it your full attention, give it your best)
- SURROUND YOURSELF with the right people – people can make you and break you
There are other values I gained from the outside world that have shaped who I am. Lesson – we all need building blocks, a value system that carries us through this thing called life.